Thursday, May 03, 2007

Our first week home

Today marks the end of our first week at home, it's been quite a rollercoaster. Our stay in hospital meant a rise in pain and an increase in medication. I would prefer to treat Emily naturally but I know this is impossible right now but I can't have her on such high doses of pain medication. Medication isn't the answer for chronic pain sufferers so last week I began to reduce it.

I worked really hard before Em's hospital stay to create a regular medication schedule with the lowest dose possible and my plan is to get her back there as soon as I can without causing alarm or harm. I learned quite a bit from my hospital stay. I learned that you can make Physical therapy interesting and fun, I'm not a serious person at all but I took PT very seriously and maybe I took away the fun element just a little. I was so focussed on the goal and the horror of it all that it became tough. No more therapy in my living room (other than with Kelly her PT) now with me it's all outdoors! Today we modified our trip to the grocery store just a little. I didn't need to go really but I gave Emily a shopping list with several items on it all placed at opposite ends of the store. I pushed the cart as she collected the goodies, apples and bananas from one side, milk over the other etc etc until we had all 10 items. Emily walked the whole way with her brace and did beautifully.

No comments: