Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Long time no blog ...

It's really hard when you take a small blog break because as fast as my life is it's hard to catch up in the short time I get to actually sit down and type. I will however give it a go :)

I'm trying to get Emily back to school but it's just not happening. I called and asked for a letter to be written by Emily's doctor but he was away on vacation, finally it was faxed across to the school last Friday (3 weeks after I requested it) They truly do their best, I'm not complaining. I have now left 3 messages with the school and not had my call returned which is very frustrating. Again these guys have tried really hard to help Emily but I need to get her back to school!!

Physically we have good days and bad. Today has been bad but we'll just celebrate the several good days that she's had recently. I bought her some skinny jeans she thinks as a cool gift but they are actually to tight for her brace LOL Ahhhhh those sneaky Physical therapy tricks!! She loves wearing them because they make her feel attractive and we've found some DC shoes that she can wear that she says feel comfortable. She's quite a beautiful young lady.

Tom struggles daily with Emily. We have normal sibling rivalry mixed in with jealousy that everyone pays attention to Emily before him and added to that is a healthy does of guilt that he feels jealous. Emily can be snappy when she hurts but imagine her hurt and hormonal!! Quite a combination I can tell you and the other day Tom had just had enough. A small altercation ended in the remote control leaving Toms hand rather rapidly and finding it's resting place on Emily's right eye socket. I'm not sure who was the most devastated, Tom or Emily but lets just say that since then things have changed.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be Tom but I try. He was so ashamed of hurting Emily I didn't yell or punish because seeing her black eye each day was enough. Instead I'm setting him up with a support network and spending more time talking to him and teaching him ways to control his frustration. I'm also working with Emily to help her understand how Tom feels, this includes letting her know that this isn't her fault because that's all she kept saying after "if I hadn't got RSD this wouldn't have happened".

Several weeks have passed and Emily and Tom are getting along better. Tom's being much more open about how he feels and I feel slightly more in control.

This accident has changed so much of our lives, it's really hard. You shouldn't question why this happened because looking back is a waste of valuable time but I do hope things improve.

No comments: