Monday, August 06, 2007

Happy feet

After a rough few days after her Birthday Emily is doing much better. Yesterday we had a Mom and me day at the mall where I'm delighted to say we found 2 pairs of real shoes that she could get her foot into. One of her biggest pet hates is that she has to wear giant hospital shoes!!

We've been working on building up the movement that Emily has in her bad foot (Sarah as she calls it). We were delighted a month ago that some movement was regained in that foot but we have to build on it. Although walking without her brace is really hard we've been practicing. Kelly set us PT exercises and I've been doing them everyday with Emily so that hopefully one day the brace can come off and she can walk normally. We have a way to go but this is one of many challenges that we've had over the last 8 months. Because we can see a difference every few days it's a challenge that Emily is enjoying completing. This is the difference between being disabled and able bodied and Emily can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm planning a trip to Houston this Wednesday for a few days alone. It's time I need to take for myself, it's been 8 months of unbearable distress and I need to take a moment to catch my breath. Our medical bills are climbing daily so it wont be extravagant but it'll be a gentle few days with a great friend :)

My thoughts tonight are with my friend Steve in CA, he started Chemo tonight. You go Steve!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you have a lovely break Mate. You deserve it. Recharge those batteries!!

Hellen said...

Thanks Lucy :) I really need this, I may just sleep LOL We plan a trip to IKEA and Auntie Changs dumpling house. I wish you could come!