Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Lets jump!!

It's been 1 whole year since Emily was injured so we had a party!! Just over 1 year ago my dear friend Karen invited my children to a giant inflatable adventure playground but sadly Emily felt under the weather so wasn't able to go. When we realized the extent of her injuries Emily looked at me and told me that if only she'd have been able to go because now she never would again because she'd lost the use of her legs. This broke my heart.

I decided then and there that Emily would have goals. Each month I would set her a task until one day she would be able to function medication free and go jumping with her close friends. Today she achieved her dream. Stage one back 1 year ago was to get her to sit up just for a few seconds. From there she had to sit without help or support. Next came sitting on the edge of the bed for 1 full minute. 5 minutes followed that then time out of the room in her wheelchair. Slowly she achieved her goals and we progressed. Our main objective was to get her feet on the floor so we used animal weights. Emily had to put a mouses pressure on her foot followed by a rat, a cat, a dog, a monkey, sheep, horse and finally full weight, the elephant. By Christmas last year she reached Horse.

January bought elephant and a new challenge. The walker!! "Just 3 steps Emily, you can do it!" First 3, then 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 50 and finally one lap round the house. All the time Emily's leg was up like a flamingo and locked in that position. We did extensive PT until April when she had botox in the back of her leg, an epidural was placed in her back to help with the pain from the massive PT that had to be done to "break" the hold on her hamstring. Another month long hospital stay.

In May her AFO was fitted and a Cane introduced. Again 5 steps then 10, 20 then once round the unit until 1 day she could walk with no Cane just a gain belt for support. We pushed on until 1 day she took steps alone, pride burst from her like beautiful fireworks and she danced again for the first time. Humble isn't even close to how this journey has made me feel. With each scared step I've been there for her holding her hand and willing her on at that time we were almost an extension of each other as my energy drained into her.

More goals were set for her and I set them high. To get her back to anything like a normal life she had to see a flicker of hope, progression was the key. She had until the end of June to teach herself to swim with 1 good leg in our pool, she did it! She had until July (her Birthday) to jump on our trampoline. A simple task to most but to someone with RSD in one foot this is extremely hard.

August's goal was to play beginners tennis and guess what? She made the final! In September she had to do 4 full days at school per week, October her goal was to take Hip hop classes and to kick all medication.

What was Novembers task??? To get back to lets jump with her friends and participate just like everyone else. With great pride I can confirm that a fun time was had by all tonight and as she's settling down for bed a huge feeling of achievement lays firmly on my daughters shoulders and rightly so.

Our next goal? To be at lets jump this time next year but with no brace and with more stamina. Congratulations Emily, this day was yours and I'm so very proud of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say... Whenever I'm feeling depressed with my never-ending back pain, I just think about Emily. I've been reading your blog for a long time and she really inspires me. Emily is such a beautiful girl - I can't imagine how proud you are of her being able to overcome her trials. She has managed to maintain such a wonderful attitude, your whole family really is blessed.