Thursday, July 26, 2007

Animal control and the Vet

By pure luck I tracked Toby down. I decided to get up early on Monday and start calling animal control centers on the off chance he was picked up. A grey tabby cat was picked up from my area on Friday and was due to be put to sleep that afternoon. They said it was unlikely to be a domestic cat because he was wild and wouldn't let anyone near him. Toby is pathetically squishy so I thought it unlikely to be him but decided not to run the risk so I drove there.

I arrived at Animal control at 12:00 on the dot, opening time and was made to wait for a nerve racking 30 Min's while paperwork was completed. I got 2 fines and a $110 fee for his "care". I was shown into a big smelly room with cages stacked floor to ceiling. I felt a tickle on my big toe which I ignored, I felt it again but this time glanced down just in time to see a giant cockroach burrow between my flip flop clad toes. I didn't hit the roof despite that being my first desire instead I tapped the officer on the arm and said in a small voice "could you ... " pointing at my foot. The officer flicked it off nervously and apologised profusely. At first I couldn't see Toby so I began to panic and then I saw him. Toby had the bottom cage right in the corner and all you could see was the tip of his paw. In his cage he had a bowl of untouched food, water and a cardboard box which he was hiding in. The label on his cage said "Ferrel". When he heard my voice he started making this horrible meow/cry so I opened the cage and scooped him out. He immediately clung to my neck like his life depended on it, which it did!

Bottom line, the old guy has a trap in his yard. He also uses fish based compost, has fresh sifted earth and bird feeders which is totally every cats dream. He traps them or shoots at them then calls animal control to complain. He also dumps cat poop by my mailbox everyday despite my guys being indoors. Lila saw our wonderful friend Vet Jeff and he treated her wound on her back. It's really nasty but beginning to heal tonight. I'm trying really hard to be mature and not react to this guy. I did speak with Animal control and they are aware that he's clearly lost his mind so I can do no more. OK, I could poop in a bag and set light to it on his doorstep. I could write something "special" on his lawn with salt and watch it die but at the end of the day do I really have the time or energy to play him at his own game? Nah ... My focus is on my family and that's where it will remain until further notice LOL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article. It is very interesting and informative!