Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Em-pathy

As a positive distraction I invented EM-pathy. This is a company set up by me just for Emily to create t-shirts for kids with disabilities. My daughter has such compassion for others despite her own struggle and I encourage her to see outside her condition. People stare and Emily hates it so she's designed some T-shirts to help prevent the common stare.

"Do you stare because you care"
"I'm just like you just in a chair"

"Keep staring I might do a trick"

"Yes, can I help you with something?"

We have many ideas in the works and the first T-shirt will be ready by Sunday.

I've taught Emily to finger knit so now she can make friendship bracelets and necklaces. My aim is to show Emily all of the things that she CAN do and not what she can't. I modify everything in an attempt to avoid frustration.

No comments: