Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The injury

This is my beautiful daughter Emily. Smart, funny, kind and generous, sweet and adorable. Sunshine flows from her wherever she goes.

On November 8th 2006 during a routine surgery a mistake was made. To some the error seemed small "just a pinched nerve", "just a small amount of nerve damage". The injury to my child was catastrofic.

3 days after her surgery Emily was still unable to move her toes on her left foot.

1 week after her surgery Emily was in agony and the hospital began to scratch their heads.

An MRI confirmed that Emily had nerve damage in both legs which had triggered RSD.

In an instant our lives changed. Gone is my happy child, gone are carefree painless days full of skipping and jumping. Gone are the trips to the park with her brother, the hours of trampolining fun and basketball in the driveway.

Instead my beautiful daughter has pain 24 hours a day. Her gorgeous eyes now have dark black shadows. My heart breaks ...

No comments: