Friday, March 23, 2007

Update

Emily was very nervous today because she was supposed to be fitted for a brace. This should have involved her foot being cast then the cast was to be sent away and made into a brace. The brace was to work as an ankle since Emily's ankle no longer functions. To wear a sock on Emily's bad foot is quite a challenge. We've been working our way up to a shoe and now she can wear it for 7 minutes. A breeze or the lightest touch sends Emily through the roof so the prospect of a cast made us all very worried.

The outcome of our visit today was upsetting. Debbie, the lady who works with people needing braces and new limbs was wonderful. I could tell just by looking at her that she was upset with what she saw, you just can't hide it when you're a Mom and I see that look all the time. She couldn't have been sweeter. Originally the brace was to be "tiny" and "just in her shoe". Now it's going to be on her whole leg. How can a child who can't tollerate a breeze on her foot wear a huge leg brace? Our options??? The word surgery was mentioned. An uncomfortable tingling when up my spine and my mouth went very dry. I am so afraid of surgery now and if I'm afraid imagine what that word will do to Emily.

Next week, if my insurance allows, Emily will go back into hospital. I'm not sure how long for this time and the thought of my family being seperated again doesn't thrill me but I know that this is my only light at the end of the tunnel. I need a light, just something for me to hang on to. A glimmer of hope that my beautiful daughter will be able to function normally again. I just need to see that smile one more time. In hospital the staff will attempt painful, aggressive physical therapy in the hope that Emily's hamstring will relax enough to get her leg straight. An orthopedic surgeon will decide if he feels that surgery will be necessary, if so he'll go in and trim the hamstring to make it stretch. I'm going to research other methods first because I feel that surgery should always be the last resort. Botox was actually invented for this kind of thing so that may be an option.

Emily and I talked about going back into hospital for a little while then she cried all the way home. I know she's my daughter and I'm meant to feel that she's wonderful but she truly is. What I wouldn't give to take this all away.

A big thank you to my friends who started Emily's fund off and another big thank you to you our friends that wrote such wonderful emails to us. Today was such a hard day then I discovered that I had mail! You made me cry and smile all at the same time. Thank you so much :)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hello Emily,
I remember more than a couple times crying on the way home from the Dr's. They always told me that I needed more surgery. Even though it was always something I expected to hear in Dr appts, I still just wished sometimes that I would get different news.

Even though I had a lot of surgery and sorta used to the whole routine, it was scarry. Like being out of control and having to trust others that I didn't know. But, I had no choice and had to face it. Most of my surgeries were to help me walk. SO WORTH IT!!

If you do have to have surgery, I have a cool trick for you to try. I'll explain when I come see you in the hospital. Make sure to tell me where and when.

It's easier to get ahold of me through my work email. You can send me email at LALLEN4@Levi.com.

Tell your mother she has to talk to Easter Seals http://fortworth.easterseals.com/site/PageServer?pagename=TXNW_homepage. They are a great organization that helped my parents with therapy and accessibility supplies (like rails).

blondie2861 said...

Hello Miss. Emily how are you it is Renee. I was in Houston for a couple of days but, I am home now. I am hoping ot see you at Starbucks this week. Renee