Sunday, April 29, 2007

The epidural


The epidural was placed and Emily was bought back up to her room. The epidural was taped in place and the tape continued up her back and over her shoulder. An IV was in the underside of her forearm. It was very apparent from the time she woke up after surgery that this was going to be a challenge. Foot pain was almost taken over with lower back pain and pain from the IV site. Potassium was in the IV fluid and it was burning Emily's arm so after a rough few hours I asked them to remove it. PT started and I am proud to say that despite the uncomfortable epidural Emily got out of bed and walked down the corridor with her walker. She got up every time she was asked and never complained. I would deliver her to the PT room looking as white as a sheet then walk back to her room with my head down in despair. I HATED seeing Emily go through this and wished more than anything that I could be the one being stretched and pounded in there rather than her. I can't put into words how proud I am of her and how sorry I am that this has happened. By Thursday Emily had her AFO (brace) and some funky new white shoes and she was walking with her foot on the floor. Totally amazing!

No comments: