Sunday, April 29, 2007

A set back


By the end of week one I thought that Emily may have a UTI so I had the hospital do a urine culture. Nothing exciting grew at that time so we carried on regardless. A week later Emily began to look flushed and had a headache. A new urine culture showed a pretty massive infection and by Sunday night she began to get a fever. All Monday Emily felt very unwell and antibiotics were started. Late Tuesday afternoon her temperature hadn't broken and she looked terrible. I was sitting stroking her hand when it happened ... her eyes just rolled back for a second or 2. When the rolled forward she shuddered and seemed confused. 2 more smaller ones followed and I alerted the nurse that I thought Emily had had a seizure. Within about 20 minutes she sat up in bed and her fever broke, after that she actually felt slightly better, I think her body just had to shut down for a second. IV antibiotics were started as did the intense burning in her arm. Within a day her IV infiltrated and her hand was the size of a baseball, again I had the IV removed. This was Emily's lowest point. She questioned god and her desire to continue living so I just sat and held her.

No comments: